The FCS2019 meeting consists of a four-day hands-on workshop and a two-day conference focusing on in-depth theoretical training and intensive hands-on exploration of emerging techniques in Fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy. Selected candidates will receive training on building of single molecule FRET, super-resolution imaging techniques by the experts. This year the workshop is organized by Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR). Seats are limited so we recommend early registration for the workshop...Read More
Prof. Trevor Smith, University of Melbourne Prof. Paul Selvin, University of Illinois Prof. Jochen Mueller, University of Minnesota Dr. Andrea Soranno, Washington University in St. Louis Prof. Jan Bieschke, University College London Dr. Winston Zhao, National University of Singapore Dr. Senthil Arumugam, University of New South Wales, Sydney Dr. Melissa Birol, University of Pennsylvania Prof. Sudipta Maiti, TIFR, Mumbai Prof. Chandrabhas Narayana, JNCASR, Bangalore Prof. Anunay Samanta, University of Hyderabad
The FCS series of workshops were conceived as a unique way to teach and provide hands-on training on the most complex modern instrumentations in the area of Fluorescence and Raman Spectroscopy to the practicing scientists and Ph.D. students in India. The original workshop was started with funding from the Govt. of India (Department of Electronics and Information Technology) in 2009, through a grant to Prof. Sudipta Maiti, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, India. Till 2012, this workshop was supported by this grant.
There was a tremendous positive response from the community, and a need was felt by the community to continue the series beyond the Government sponsored period. From 2013 onwards, the workshop was self-supported (with sponsorships from many industry bodies), and organized through a newly formed society (Fluorescence Society, www.florescenceindia.org)) and also with help from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (www.tifr.res.in), and a local host institute. The goal of the society was not only to continue the series, but also to expand the activities by holding smaller workshops, and providing awards to students for enabling them to present their work at various meeting in India and abroad. In 2013, the workshop was held in Bangaore, in the premises of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) during November 24-28. The local organizers were Prof. Chandrabhas Narayana (JNCASR) and Prof. Jaydeep Basu (IISc Bangalore). FCS-2013 was intended to focus on in-depth theoretical training and hands-on exploration of emerging techniques in fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy for biology and material science. Apart from research and didactic talks, satellite sessions provided hands-on training on the construction of confocal and total-internal-reflection microscope from generic parts. The confocal microscope construction was overseen by Prof. J. Balalji (IISc Bangalore) and the total internal reflection fluorescence microscopy construction was overseen by Prof. Rahul Roy, IISc Bangalore.
In 2014, the workshop was held in Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, PUNE (IISER Pune) during December 15 – 22. The local organizers were Profs. Shivaprasad Patil, G. V. Pavan Kumar and Mrinalini Puranik. The workshop expanded to include hands-on training on techniques such as Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM) and Raman Spectroscopy. The standard modules on fluorescence correlation spectroscopy and time resolved fluorescence spectroscopy were also taught. AFM training was overseen by Prof. Patil, and Raman was overseen by Prof. Puranik.
In 2015, there was a small scientific meeting on Spectroscopy and Dynamics (Structure and Dynamics of Biomolecular Complexes) organized by the Fluorescence Society at TIFR, Mumbai (May 23, 2015), which was a new event, as it was not in the series of FCS 20XX meetings. This followed the mandate of expanding our workshops to cover broader but related themes.
In 2016, The Society organized two events together. One was the FCS 2016, and another is a major international conference, under the aegis of the International Commission for Optics. Together, the event was known as the Optics Within Life Sciences conference (OWLS 2016, website: owls2016.org). This was held in TIFR, Mumbai (first part), and IIT Bombay (latter part) during 16-19 March, 2016. TIFR and IIT Bombay were co-organizers with Fluorescence Society. Sudipta Maiti, Jyotishman Dasgupta, ASR Koti and Ravindra Venkatramani were the organizers. FCS 2016 workshop took place during three days preceding the conference (i.e. March 13-15, 2016).
In 2017, the FCS 2017 has just been concluded in IIT Guwahati (December 17-21, 2017). Prof. R. Swaminathan (IIT Guwahati) and Prof. Sudipta Maiti (TIFR) were the conveners for this event. TIFR and IIT Guwahati helped Fluorescence Society organize this event. There were hands-on sessions on Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, Time correlated single photon counting, and Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence microscopy. The intention was to give the students and faculty from the North East a bigger share of the total participation. About 40% of the students and about 20% of the faculty were from institutes in the North-Eastern region.
In 2018, the workshop was organized by School of Physical Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi and Department of Chemistry, Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD) with the support of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) Mumbai and Fluorescence Society.
Rs. 3000/- (students without accommodation)
Rs. 5000/- (students with shared accommodation)
Rs. 5000/- (faculty without accommodation)
Rs. 8000/- (faculty with shared accommodation)
Rs. 10000/- (participants from industry without accommodation)
Practicing Ph.D. students, post-doctoral fellows and scientists from academia and industry having some knowledge of laser spectroscopy and microscopy
Interested candidates can apply online through pre-registration form available below (Abstract must be uploaded in the prescribed format in a word-document)
Seats are limited; applications will be shortlisted by panel of experts All selected candidates will be informed through e-mail. The e-mail will contain all details for Registration Fee payment
We invite sponsorship for this workshop. Sponsorship will offer various opportunities to showcase any company’s/organization’s portfolio and products.
Diamond: 5 Lakh or above
Platinum: 2.5 lakh
Gold: 1 lakh
Silver: 0.5 lakh
Any other sponsorship with less than 0.5 lakh is also accepted
1. A single day of the workshop will be announced as "Company name Day on....". Special banners announcing this will be displayed on that day of the workshop.
2. The company can display their (new) products/instrument. Space for such display will be provided and the instrument may also be included in the hands-on training/demo session.
3. A double-length stall (4 x 2 mtr.) with proper enclosure, display board, a table, four chairs, a power connection for laptop will be provided for displaying company profile/brochures.
4. Two lecture slots (20 min. each) will be provided for oral presentations.
5. A full page colour advertisement to be added in the back/inside-back/inside-front cover of the workshop abstract book.
6. The company logo/name will be displayed in the name-tags and lanyards throughout the workshop.
7. Adequate mention as Diamond sponsor in the FCS-2019 website and all banners.
8. Invitation upto 8 company personnel to all lunch/dinner and other refreshments.
1. A double-length stall (4 x 2 mtr.) with proper enclosure, display board, a table, four chairs, a power connection for laptop will be provided for displaying company profile/brochures.
2. One lecture slot (20 min.) will be provided for oral presentation.
3. A full page colour advertisement to be added in the workshop abstract book.
4. Adequate mention as Platinum sponsor in the FCS-2019 website and all banners.
5. Invitation upto 5 company personnel to all lunch/dinner and other refreshments.
1. A stall (2 x 2 mtr.) with proper enclosure, display board, a table, two chairs, a power connection for laptop will be provided for displaying company profile/brochures.
2. A full page colour advertisement to be added in the workshop abstract book.
3. Adequate mention as Gold sponsor in the FCS-2019 website and all banners.
4. Invitation upto 3 company personnel to all lunch/dinner and other refreshments.
1. A full page colour advertisement to be added in the workshop abstract book.
2. Adequate mention as Silver sponsor in the FCS-2019 website and all banners.
3. Invitation upto 2 company personnel to all lunch/dinner and other refreshments.
1. A half-page colour advertisement to be added in the workshop abstract book.
2. Adequate mention as Other sponsor in the FCS-2019 website and all banners.
3. Invitation upto 1 company personnel to all lunch/dinner and other refreshments.
One fellowship to a student or post doc per year, to cover the cost for presenting one’s work in an international conference.
The first year prize will be 100,000, to be paid against receipts of relevant expenses.
The fellowship will be accompanied by a certificate, an invitation to give a talk at the next meeting, and adequate mention in the society’s webpage.
The actual money will be disbursed to the fellow’s bank account, against actual receipts. Travel, registration, visa fees, travel insurance, accommodation, food, connected travel to other labs nearby, and any other legitimate expenses will qualify.
The student should be a member of the society (Become a Member)
Selection Procedure: Selection will be done in FCS 2019 meeting, based on the presentation (poster or talk). Any Indian citizen working in an Indian institute should be eligible.
If you have any query, mail us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research Hyderabad 36/P, Gopanpally Village, Serilingampally Mandal, Ranga Reddy District, Hyderabad 500107 Email : info at tifrh dot res dot in Phone : +91 (0)40 2020 – 3001 Fax : +91 (0)40 2020 – 3105